Tuesday, September 29, 2009

#95: Microsoft non-essential

Microsoft just announced the released of Microsoft Security Essentials, their new free anti-virus program.

Microsoft today lifted the curtain on its Microsoft Security Essentials, the free successor to its OneCare security program. MSE uses the same antivirus engine as the phased-out OneCare, but the new free program focuses only on malware blocking. It doesn't include a firewall, system optimizer or other security suite-type features.
 I downloaded the MSE program and installed it in my laptop.

Once installed, I started scanning my computer for virus and my computer crashed and there's no way to recover until I decided to turn off my computer and do a complete reboot. MSE tried to start automatically but then I got an error message that the program failed to load and suggested I re-install it.

I proceeded to re-install the program and this time it went through without a hitch. I decided to restart my computer before doing the scan. This time MSE loaded automatically. I ran the quick scan and it seems to be very slow. It took more half an hour to complete the scan. It didn't find anything wrong on mine.

MSE is not very impressive. No wonder it was not ranked as one of the top 3 free anti-virus program from this review. You may be better off using one of these products instead.

Or better yet use Linux for trouble free computing.

No comments:

Post a Comment