Thursday, September 10, 2009

#76: My father's humor

Twenty two years ago today, my father died of a sudden heart attack. I remember my brother doc termed it as miocardial infarction. It was so massive that he never recovered after he collapsed right on my mom's hands.

Every year today, I am always reminded of that fateful day. How we got the news of his death and how I was tasked then to break the news to my sister Chiquit. Her reaction is etched into my memory forever.

Today though, I want to remember my father's humor. For those who knew him, he's the person who will never run out of jokes. You don't want to be caught sitting beside him because he would roast you for hours.

Here's some funny moments I remembered of him. I did one on my earlier post The Day my father rocks

Here's more:

1. While driving with my mom to visit my sister Chiquit (who just gave birth to Cheeka), they got lost. My mom thought that she knew the way. "I remember those jeepney. That's what I took the last time I went to her place", my mom said. "So why don't you get off the car and ride on the jeepney and I'll follow you", my dad said.

2. While visiting us in Manila, he would share the room with us. But my dad snores big time. My brother Dennis one time couldn't sleep so he tried to woke him up. Shaking him vigorously. He's got so angry that he threatened to sleep in the car.

3. My sister Chiquit was vacationing in Abra and it so happen that one of her friend's relative died. Every night she would ask permission from my father to visit the wake. On the 4th day, she again asked permission to go to the wake which my father finally replied "Apay Chiquit, sikayon sa met ti kaladingitanen?" (Why Chiquit, you guys seems to be the saddest among the mourners?)

4. We arrived in Bangued very early in the morning (around 2AM) for the Holy Week Vacation. Naturally we woke my parents up. It so happen that my father was planning to go early (4 AM)  that day to Ilocos Sur to buy some fish (meat was not allowed) for a party he's organizing. "Oh so you don't have to go back to sleep?" we asked. "Nya ngaruden, Ag-tang-tangaag gak kun ti dua nga orasen?" (Oh so you think I'll just sit here for two hours doing nothing?"), he replied. He went back to sleep but didn't wake up until 6AM. He later blamed us for not waking him up.

5. It was new year's eve, few hours before 12midnight. He pulled a prank on my mom's brother Lolo Ah-Ah (he's deaf-mute). He woke him up and signaled that it's time to light those firecrackers because it's 12midnight. Lolo Ah-Ah rose from his sleep and started lighting up every firecrackers he had only to realize later that it wasn't time.

What about you? do you have an anecdote to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment