Friday, September 25, 2009

#91: Cheap movies and a former actor

On my way to the office, I sometimes swing by my favorite 7-11 store on E Street to buy coffee. The store is owned by a very nice Filipino Lady (Remy) who's son (Sam) use to be a friend of mine. Sam died on his sleep more than a year ago.

As I was parking in front of the store, I noticed they just installed a redbox kiosk

Redbox specializes in the vending of DVDs via self-service/interactive kiosks. Projected to number 22,000 by December 2009, Redbox kiosks are located nationwide in fast food restaurants, pharmacies, grocery stores, and convenience stores.
 This idea is actually brilliant. Instead of a vending soda or chips. this bright red-colored box vends DVD just $1 a day rental. Operation is easy using a touch screen. Pick your title, insert your credit card and voila! your DVD spits out. redbox has been opening kiosks here and there while Blockbuster is closing stores everywhere.

Anyway, as I was paying, Becky (another Filipino) point me to a guy just behind me. "Oy kilala mo ba sya?", she asked. As I turned my head towards the guy. I pause for a while, he seems familiar to me but I can't figure out where I saw him. I finally gave up and look back at Becky with a puzzled face. "Si Renato Del Prado, yung artista sa atin, siya si Guido sa Anna Lisa". I turned back to him and shoke his hand. "Kumusta po, matagal na ba kayo dito?", I asked. "Mabuti naman ako, nung 2005 pa ako dito", he said. Mang Renato seems to be in good shape, he's much slimmer than I remembered.

I rememberAnna Lisa was a very popular soap opera in the 80's together with its arch rival Flor De Luna. My family preferred watching Flor De Luna for a reason I don't recall.

I didn't talked to Mang Renato that much as I sensed he was in a hurry. But I'm sure I'm going to bumped into him again one of this days as he just live a couple of blocks from the store.

Maybe next time I can even snap a picture of him and share to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment