Wednesday, September 2, 2009

#68: She's probably somebody's baby

I was at the DMV today to renew my driver's license and as usual the place is packed like sardines.

I looked around and all the sits were taken. Some of the patrons are all standing around. Everyone is staring at the monitor mounted on the wall. Every now and then, everyone would look into their numbers in hand and glance at the monitor again as if waiting for the winning number in lotto.

I finally found a small spot where I stand waiting for my number to be called. Just beside me to my left was a mentally challenged Filipino girl (she's probably about 15 or 16 years old) in a wheelchair. Beside her probably was her dad. The girl smiled enthusiastically and suddenly grab my hand firmly and said "kuya Kumusta" and started to giggle. I said "mabuti". She let go of my hand briefly only to grab it again, and again and again. I started to feel a little bit uncomfortable so I pretended to look into my phone so he won't be able to grab my hand. Instead he grabbed my shirt and keep on asking "Kuya Kumusta".

I finally was able to extricate myself and created a small distance from her. I was relieved. Then suddenly a pretty looking woman eased her way in between us. She was blonde and quite very attractive.

As soon as the Filipino girl saw her, she immediately grabbed her hand and started doing what she was doing to me earlier. The woman was startled and just smiled as the kid was all over her even to the point that she tried to lift the woman's shirt. I can sense the Women was a little bit embarrassed as she started to say "Oh no am not gonna strip today". I smiled and whispered to her, "I'm sorry I should have warned you about her".

Finally, the kid's father got called out and I was left with this pretty blonde woman. She smiled and said faintly "Thank God, she's a handful don't you think?". "Yeah she is", I answered back.

In my mind I was thinking do I want to start a conversation? What could she be interested with? Suddenly she took out a book and started reading. I glanced on what she's reading and it was Ernest Hemingway book.

There goes the conversation, I never read any Hemingway book. What should a say to a girl who reads Hemingway? Why can't she read Ludlum or Grisham like normal people read?

It doesn't matter as my number was finally called. I glanced at her for the last time and suddenly I can hear Jackson Browne singing in my mind "Well just look at that girl with the lights coming up in her eyes, she must be somebody's baby, all the guys on the corner stand back and let her walk on by..."

Here's the whole video of that song that describe "Ms. Hemingway"



can't view the video? Click here for the original post

No comments:

Post a Comment