Tuesday, September 22, 2009

#88: My sister's dual personality

I remember vividly what she said to me - "Agsingsingpet ka" (Be good). The words came out sounding like a mother telling her son for a good advice. That was my sister Chiquit (or now better known as Giselle in the U.S.) telling me as we watched my father's casket being lowered down six feet under.


Manang C acted as our mother during our college days as my parents were in the province. We weren't well off. My parents where working hard for the six of us to attend school so it was necessary for her to manage our monthly finances and making sure there's food on the table. These responsibilities were undoubtedly daunting at her young age then, but someone had to do it and it was her. She was in-charge.

But it was not long when she moved out (with a heavy heart) and started her own family. Perhaps realizing her unfinished business with us, she would every now and then come visiting us after her work and see how we were doing. This went on even when she had her first child Cheeka and then later with Kyle.



I can't remember any instance that she ever relinquished that motherly role. Up to this day, she still sounds like my mom (more than a sister) when she calls me.


Today is her birthday. I can't remember how old she is (ahem!) but I will always remember those two simple words she told me 22 years ago and try to live up to it.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice!i can relate with this blog.I'm also the eldest among my two siblings!I can picture myself into the situation of your ate.Ganyan din kasi ako.kahit na i'm married 6years ago i still have the responsibility in my family.My parents are separated since we were just kids so all the responsibilities pass to me.Very difficult indeed!Oh i'm getting out of the topic already.I just remembered how i become a mother and a sister too.I also have a dual personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete