Thursday, September 17, 2009

#83: Craigslist Scammers

On my earlier post, I talked about putting up some advertising to sell some of my stuffs on craigslist.org.

Immediately I got calls inquiring about my stuffs including this interesting email:

---------------------
From: "Joseph Frost" <0frost.joe@gmail.com>
To: sale-b7zyz-1368141595@craigslist.org
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:58:42 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Eee PC 904HA - $250 (Chula Vista)

-
Hi Seller, I would like to know if you are still willing to sell this item of yours that i saw on craigslist and the actual price you're willing to sell it out.

Thanks,
Joe. 

--------
  So I sent a reply to Joe saying that the item is still available and the price is as quoted and he has to do is call me. He sent back a reply:

----------------

From: "Joseph Frost" <0frost.joe@gmail.com>
To: sale-b7zyz-1368141595@craigslist.org
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:18:19 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re:HOW ABOUT THIS ? Eee PC 904HA - $250 (Chula Vista)


Hello,
Thanks for your reply,i am located in Allen city in TX,i really need to buy this and send to son schooling outside the state as a gift .I have been trying to buy this on ebay but its been very stressful buying on ebay. I will offer you $300 so as to rap up this transaction ASAP. I will be paying through PAYPAL because i have a verified account with paypal. So kindly get back with your paypal email address so i can make payment into your paypal account. Once payment clears, shipment will be handled by me through my personal fedex account,so you dont have to pay for shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted. I would like to see more pictures of it please.

Thanks,
Joe

----------------
 Now what is wrong with this email? What makes this Joe a scammer?

Here's why Joe is a scammer:
1. Joe preferred to email me instead of calling me directly. I have posted my phone number on the ads.
2. For those not familiar with craigslist, the site is broken down into major U.S. cities, so what is a Texas resident doing and looking at San Diego Craigslist?
3. When using paypal, you don't need an email address to pay. In fact it's the seller who sends a paypal invoice to the buyer.

This is definitely a classic example of a scam. Check out how this scam works here or read craiglist.org warning regarding scams.

Craigslist is probably the best site to sell/buy items quickly, BUT keep in mind that anytime scammers are lurking around. So be careful.

By the way for Joe if you are reading this, I sold my items as advertised, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment