Saturday, July 25, 2009

#29: Owey: What's in the name


Today, My niece Rowsel just passed the Nursing Licensure Exam in the Philippines. Rowsel is the eldest daughter of my brother Dr. Joselito Bringas and Rowena Babida.

I have good memories of my niece. After all I drove her mom to the hospital when she was about to give birth to her. I saw her the day she was born, I had my turn baby sitting her when she was a baby and I saw her took care of my kids when we moved to Bangued during her high school days.

My nieces name is kinda unique. I have not met any one by that name so far. For the benefit of those who doesn't know. Her first name Rowsel was coined after her parents names Row(ena) and (Jo)Sel(ito). Her second name Arsenne was taken from my dad's name Arsenio.

But I never call her Rowsel as most of the immediately family. She's better known to us as Owey. But does anybody ever know how she got the name Owey? Well When Owey was a baby, she would go back and forth from our family house to her mom's house as both households would play tag of war for a chance to have her sleep over. Soon we would say "Uwi dito Uwi doon" (Go home here, Go home there). Thus the name Owey. If my memory serves me right it was my brother Francis who named her such (I stand corrected it's actually my sister Nanette).

Anyway, I have no doubts that Owey will soon follow her father's footstep. As far as I know she started her career in medicine way back in high school when she would run errand to buy prescribed medicine for her dad's patients.

Congratulations Owey! I hope I can join you when your dad will close the whole Santa Rosa for your well deserved party!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment