Wednesday, July 15, 2009

#19: Barangay Ginebra

I just came back from a conference in L.A. regarding the State of California's Initiative to convert all Medical Records to Electronic format and be able to seamlessly exchange clinical data to different health care providers.

I was planning to write about what transpired during the conference but on my way back to San Diego, I was browsing inquirer.net and saw the sports headline that San Miguel Beer stayed alive as they even up the series 3-3 against Barangay Ginebra in the PBA fiesta cup finals.

Anyway, I just realized I have not been following the PBA since I moved to the U.S. 9 years ago.

Ok California Initiative can wait (after all the state is broke and politicians are still fighting in Sacramento on how to close the more that $26 Billion budget deficit ).

As I continue reading the article, it seems that Ginebra is still the most popular team today. But I cannot recognize any of the players anymore (except for Menk). Gone are the players I knew very well...The Big J, Chito and Rudy.

This brings back one memorable moment in the history of the PBA that I can never forget. It was 1991. Ginebra was battling Shell for the Open Conference Title. Shell jumped to a commanding 3-1 lead in a 7 game series. It was over (at least for the Shell fans) but Ginebra fans refused to surrender. Then it happened. Ginebra made a furious come back and tied the series and eventually completed the greatest come back in PBA history courtesy of a last second off-balance shot by Rudy Distrito. Of course it would have not happen without a great inbound pass from the Big J.

Let's relive the moment and watch one of the greatest shot ever:



if you can't see the embedded video just go directly to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7VV5z9m-I

No comments:

Post a Comment