Tuesday, July 7, 2009

#11: After the Thrill(er) is gone

Today is all about Michael Jackson. It's information overload. Every available medium is talking about him. Every news media tried to out do each other as they talk about his rise to fame, his music and his death. I don't have to tell you what happen today as everyone probably watched the event.

But I do have to say that once in my younger years I did listen and even dance to his music, in particular to his famous Thriller album released in 1982 (If I'm not mistaken my friend Pancho has the album in vinyl - if he still have it, he might want to put it up on ebay? hehe).

Yes I admit, my friends and I were among those who would try to imitate his moonwalk moves, his spins and his outfit. Our nights at the disco will not be complete without dancing to "Billy Jean". We probably got crazy with his music for a year that our group was once called "The Punky Boys".

Eventually we have outgrown Michael Jackson. Suddenly dancing is no longer cool. We have given away our wind breakers, our tight pants and even our gloves to the next generation. Together with my friends we started listen to Jackson Browne, Bruce Springsteen and other classic rock musicians up to this day.

When I heard the news about Michael Jackson's untimely death, I immediately asked myself "is it drugs?". Indications seems to point to that direction.

I asked my daughter Deirdre what she thinks of Michael Jackson's music and his death. She said, "His songs are ok but It's not good how he died". Obviously sounding disappointed.

Undoubtedly, Michael was a great artist. Whatever the reason he end up dead, we may never know unless we ourselves will be in a position where he was.

I've long put away my dancing shoes, but I still have good laughs recalling those days which I'm sure my old friends would also feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment