Monday, July 13, 2009

#17: It's not all about technology

I'm back to work today after a 10 day hiatus. My calendar was full. let's see, a briefing from my IT assistant, a teleconference with our software developer, an urgent report requested by the CEO. Technical issues from the Billing department, and some bits and pieces that's not so urgent.

As I entered the IT Lab, my assistant filled me in with everything that had happened (good and bad) while I was away. Most of the issues were not new since I was always in touch through email. But he gladly talk about it anyway.

As always, the first order of my business is to check my phone messages. 23 messages! whoa! I went through the messages and there are some important ones and there are some messages that sells something that I normally delete. But there was one message that actually set the tone of the day..."Hello Ms. Cole (not her real name), we just got your pap smear result please call us back at ...". I turned to my assistant and ask, "did you ever remember if I had a pap smear?". And we started laughing. "Not that there's anything wrong with it", he said.

I turned my attention to my emails. There's a couple of them I need to respond to. "Hi sorry for the delay, I was on vacation" was my standard opening statement (copy paste seems to be very convenient in this case). There's a question from a user "Why can't I go to youtube?, I just want to see the ghost of Michael Jackson".

I sent one to the billing manager asking her status of our electronic claims format which I modified recently. I promptly got a reply back. "Still waiting for feedback...and oh by the way, light bulb in my room is out, you think someone can fix it?" which i replied back, "do you know how many IT guys will it take to replace a light bulb? 3, one to check what version is the bulb, one to to find the latest version of the bulb, and one to test the new version to be compatible with the socket"

It was all downhill from there! Working in IT sometimes is not all about technology, sometimes it's the humor that goes with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment