Friday, July 17, 2009

#21: Leveraging Open Source in Health IT

I was interviewed by linux.com in August 2008 (FOSS app eases the pain for San Diego community clinic) regarding my works in leveraging Open Source Technology in Health Care particularly to non-profit community clinics.

I first presented the idea on a round table discussion with other clinics around San Diego back in 2003. The discussion was attended by CEO's, CFO's and IT Manager. Unfortunately, the feedback was all negative and somehow even elicit some faint laughter. I remember one of the attendees said to radical, too good to be true and emphatically declared "if it's free it must be worthless". I left that meeting disappointment but not discouraged.

Six years later, I succeeded in bringing a cutting-edge Health Care software that enabled our clinic to survive the rapid changes. While other clinics are now struggling and confused on what to do next, our clinic is at full speed ahead in our implementation of a low-cost sophisticated EMR (Electronic Medical Record).

Every time I look back on what had happened through the years, I'm always reminded on Mahatma Gandhi's famous quote, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win".

No comments:

Post a Comment