Monday, August 31, 2009

#66: Boring city no more?

My family has been living in Chula Vista California for almost 8 years now and never heard any mention of the city on national news. In fact the city was mentioned by forbes magazine as one of the most boring city in the U.S.

Until yesterday.

I would have never known if not for a TV screen at my gym showing the World Little League Championship. The Park View Little League team was playing Taiwan for the title.

I'm no fan of baseball but knowing a local team gunning for a title makes it interesting. I caught a glimpse of the game only because it was right in front of the stationary bike am using. It was in the 5th inning when Chula Vista made a brilliant double play that made the guy beside me scream in awe and said "That's the play of the game". Chula Vista was still behind 3-1 but eventually came from behind and won 6-3.

The news of the win reverberated around the city and suddenly Chula Vista is in the spotlight. What makes the win so interesting is that it took 11-12 year old kids for the city to be finally get recognized. A feat that seems to be elusive with the mediocre performances of The San Diego Padres and the San Diego Chargers for years.

There's going to be a celebration downtown but it seems the Mayor (Cheryl Cox) is going to spoil the fun as she declared that it will just be a small celebration because of budget problem.

A once in a lifetime (who knows when is the next) opportunity to sell the city and she's bucking down. I'm sure that many individuals or business would like to help with the cost.

Well boring or not, I still love Chula Vista. This is where my kids got to roam around the city without fear.

The city may be boring, but the people certainly are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment