Wednesday, November 4, 2009

#131: First taste of Windows 7

I just had a chance to install Windows 7 in my laptop today. I decided I would try it out and see how it fair to the older version of windows.

I wasn't so sure I would like Win7 so I installed it on a different partition to make my laptop dual boot with my Windows XP.

Preparing to do a dual-boot install is straight forward. First I  need a tool to re-size my original partition to make room for the new operating system. I used a free tool gparted - a linux based live CD to easily create a new partition.

Next is to pop-in the CD installer (I was using the Ultimate Edition) and like installing any other operating system, the waiting time is quite annoying. After 5 or more computer restart, I completed the installation.

I must say that Windows 7 is much improved that Windows Vista, particularly on the way it was able to detect most of my hardware devices. I admit that I felt like I was installing a Linux distribution. Speed is also noticeable. There's some slight changes on where to find what but generally easy to figure out.

All in all it was an easy setup. Probably because my computer was originally loaded with Windows Vista (until I downgraded to XP) so most of my devices are able to handle windows 7. Also I am using the Ultimate Edition so I'm not sure the other version will run as smooth .

So if you have a computer with Windows Vista, it's worth it to upgrade to Windows 7. Although I suggest you get the full version of Windows 7 and install from scratch. Rule of thumb before doing the upgrade or clean install, check with your computer manufacturer if your hardware will be compatible with Windows 7.

So far I have XP, Win 7 on my laptop. My next project is to add Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment