Saturday, October 31, 2009

#127: Two ways to celebrate today

It's called Halloween in the U.S. but in the Philippines it's more commonly called "All Saints Day", at least that's what I always remembered. In The U.S. it's all about customes, candies and chocolates. In the Philippines it's more of remembering our dead, visiting their tombs, lighting candles and saying a little prayer. In the U.S. it's wild parties, in the Philippines it's more of a solemn day.

My kids where all out today with friends and I was left alone in the house. There were occasional knocks at my door from trick or treaters. That's no problem, I did bought some packs of chocolates to give away just to avoid toilet paper being thrown in our house.

Being alone gave me a chance to think about my love ones who are no longer in my midst specially my father and my daughter Aemes. I still wonder how it would have been different with them alive.

I learned to like Halloween but I also miss All Saints Day.

1 comment:

  1. yeah you should have seen me putting a fully lit candle on top of a turtle, had the turtle cross the street going to a "bully's" house, of course after notifying the bully that a ghost is on his way!

    check St Fancis. his prayer says that only through death shall we find eternal life. we all die. as to whether we will all find eternal life that's something that is religion-based, something that i will not even dare to venture into as it goes to one's inner faith and you can debate forever with one having a different faith and still won't agree on the major issues involved. until your last breath.

    so how was your halloween other than doing your "thinking" exercise? surfing Numero Ocho, too? new stuff in there EG B. some pinoy characters too. am interested to see some laotian characters though. any hot tip EG B?

    (-j-)

    ReplyDelete